That seems to be VMware’s message today in an announcement that their ESXi will be FREE starting next week. ESXi is a hypervisor similar to ESX and Hyper-V except that it has a very small footprint and runs as an embedded hypervisor. This seems to be a direct response to Microsoft’s recent gains in they virtualization market.
While the inevitably essential VMware’s VirtualCenter, and their other virtual infrastructure management products come at a steep price for entry level consumers, so does Microsoft’s System Center Virtual Machine Manager. I’m convinced that virtualization is like crack. It’s free to try, addicting and expensive once you get hooked. With the plethora of partner marketing, training and incentives coming from the top virtual pushers and the insatiable appetite for consolidation and containment brought on by the ‘go green’ movement it seems as if we have a true free market pandemic on our hands.
Today, VMware is taking another step towards making virtualization ubiquitous by announcing that VMware ESXi will be available for download at no cost as of the week of July 28, 2008.
VMware has always believed that virtualization needs to be ubiquitous. Since 2001, VMware has provided the industry’s most popular and reliable hypervisor used by more than 100,000 customers. During this evolution, partners like you have been critical in educating and delivering virtualization to customers of all sizes. In December 2007, VMware announced significant improvements with ESXi - its third-generation, stand-alone hypervisor. With its smaller footprint and OS-independence, ESXi ensures even higher levels of security and reliability while making virtualization easier than ever to deploy.
By making virtualization pervasive, ESXi presents some excellent business opportunities for our partners in the following ways:
- ESXi penetration will seed the market with a large pool of new virtualization customers
- ESXi will create the opportunity for partners to easily upsell customers to VMware Infrastructure 3 and the 20+ additional products available from VMware for datacenter virtualization, desktop virtualization, applications and infrastructure management and automation
- ESXi will provide partners with the opportunity to sell additional servers, storage, networking and services that traditionally come with a virtualization deployment.
Go to Partner Central today for more information including up-sell messaging, FAQs and presentations. Join us on Monday July 28, 2008 for a special VMLive on how VMware is positioning ESXi and the huge market opportunities for our partners.
- Topic: ESXi Update
- Date: Monday, July 28, 2008
- Time: 8:30 am PST/11:30 am EST