If you are one of the folks being affected during the past 45 days by the issue where Vista loads to a black screen with only a mouse cursor after reboot, this blog is for you. I’m looking for two things. I need existing Microsoft CSS support Case #’s related to this issue. Also, here is a solution you can try. If it works PLEASE comment back to this blog.
There apparently this a problem related to the Remote Procedure Call service (RPC) running under LocalSystem account instead of NT Authority\NetworkService account.
1. On the affected machine, boot using the Vista Media and Select “Next” and then in the bottom left you will see “Repair your Computer”; select Next and then Select Command Prompt.
2. At the command prompt, launch regedit.exe and load the SYSTEM hive, follow the below steps.
a. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
b. On the File menu, select Load Hive.
c. Browse to %WINDIR%\System32\Config Folder and select “SYSTEM”
d. Select Open.
e. In the Load Hive dialog box, type in “MySYSTEM” box for the registry hive that you want to edit.
3. After the hive is loaded, modify the following key value per the instructions below: You will need to know what ControlSet the machine is currently running on, this can be determined by going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\MySYSTEM\Select and find the “Current” value in the Right hand side. (Example: Current value is 1 then the ControlSet will be ControlSet001)
Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00X\Services\RpcSs (X is the Number from the Current Key from above)
Value Name: ObjectName
Old Value: LocalSystem
New Value: NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService
4. Unload the SYSTEM hive by selecting the key “MySYSTEM” and then select File -> Unload Hive… menu item.
5. Exit regedit.exe
6. Reboot the system normally